IBI produces publications for public use in order to get quality biochar information available on a widespread basis. You are welcome to download any of the resources for your use.
Biochar for Environmental Management
This all encompassing book on biochar, Biochar for Environmental Management, is edited by Johannes Lehmann and Stephen Joseph and published by Routledge.
IBI members have access to the full first edition (published 2009) as an electronic version by logging into the member’s only area.
The second edition, published March 2015, contains a significant increase in biochar research and publications, in-depth news coverage, and a growing commercial industry. The publisher is offering IBI dues-paying members a 20% discount off the purchase price as well as access to a digital version of the preliminary pages and the first chapter accessed by logging into the member’s only area. To read more about the publication and order a copy, see https://www.routledge.com/products/9780415704151.
IBI Research Summaries and Information Papers
Research Summaries provide in depth information on a single issue and provide additional references from peer reviewed publications.
- COMING SOON! The Potential for Biochar to Improve Sustainability for Maize Cultivation and Processing (written in collaboration with the Ithaka Institute)
- The Potential for Biochar to Improve Sustainability for Coffee Cultivation and Processing (written in collaboration with the Ithaka Institute)
- The Use of Biochar in Composting
- Biochar Field Studies
- Pyrolysis and Gasification of Biosolids to Produce Biochar
- Poultry Litter Biochar – A US Perspective
- Implications and Risks of Potential Dioxin Presence in Biochar
Click here for materials in Indonesian, translated by Anischan Gani.
Guidelines and Technical Bulletins
- The Guidelines on Practical Aspects of Biochar Application to Field Soil in Various Soil Management Systems is a 23-page illustrated guide that provides the latest information on techniques for applying biochar in different agricultural systems.
- The Guide to Conducting Biochar Trials is a 32-page document that covers all aspects of designing and setting up a biochar experiment in a nursery or field plot. It covers quick and easy methods for testing biochar suitability, designing replication and controls, how to do soil testing and how to analyze your results.
- The Guidelines for Development and Testing of Pyrolysis Plants is a 32-page document was produced to assist in the development and testing of small pyrolysis plants and provides advice on equipment design and testing as well as the specification and testing of the biochar product.
- IBI Technical Bulletin #101: Quick tests to determine whether a biochar material contains compounds that are potentially harmful to plants (English)
- IBI Technical Bulletin #101 (Spanish language version): Quick tests to determine whether a biochar material contains compounds that are potentially harmful to plants
- IBI Technical Bulletin #102: Practical aspects of biochar application to tree crops (English)
- IBI Technical Bulletin #103: Using biochar to create artwork in the landscape (English)
- IBI Technical Bulletin #104: Simple Guide for Testing Biochar in Soil (English)
- IBI Technical Bulletin #104 (Spanish language version): Simple Guide for Testing Biochar in Soil
The Guide to Conducting Biochar Trials has also been translated into Czech: Návod k provádení pokusu s biouhlem
Other Biochar Books (not written or published by IBI)
- Biochar in European Soils and Agriculture: Science and Practice: edited by Simon Shackley, Greet Ruysschaert, Kor Zwart, Bruno Glaser
- Biochar: Production, Characterization, and Applications; Yong Sik Ok Sophie M. Uchimiya Scott X. Chang Nanthi Bolan
- Biochar Culture, by Sai Baskar N Reddy; a general guide to using biochar, focusing on small scale community use (FREE DOWNLOAD at the link)
- The Biochar Revolution, edited by Paul Taylor; a reference guide for producing and utilizing biochar
- The Biochar Solution, by Albert Bates; a full overview on the history of and current use around biochar
- The Biochar Debate, by James Bruges; introducing the promise and concerns around biochar
Overview of Biochar Technology
Part 2: What is Biochar
Part 3: Benefits of Biochar Application to Soil