November 2023 | Read the full Global Biochar Industry Update
As we all begin to contemplate the end of year — which always comes so quickly — I am pleased to share highlights of IBI’s 2023 virtual Annual Symposium (all recordings + presentations are available here for a small fee and free for event attendees) and also point to IBI’s activities in the upcoming COP28. Before we dig in, make sure to take the IBI / USBI Global Market Research Survey.
2023 IBI Symposium Highlights
With nearly 400 participants from 40 countries, 40+ speakers, 30+ exhibitors, plus our amazing sponsors US Biochar Initiative, Carbonfuture, KMW Energy Systems, Puro.earth, and Pyreg, plus IBI’s first media partner, the Carbon Herald, we had a vibrant three days of presentations, networking, and collaboration.
Notable Symposium Moments:
- Biochar Pitch Competition – featuring five companies from four countries, with Circonomy named as the winner by our judging panel
- Keynote Talk by Robert Höglund
- Panels on carbon markets, an overview of standards and certifications, how to stack revenue streams to create financial sustainability
- Deep dives into markets for biochar, including agriculture, built environment, concrete, and asphalt uses, as well as remediation and waste management
- Two industry tool launches:
Miss the Symposium or want to relive it? Access recordings here.
IBI will again have a delegation for the full COP28 meeting, including IBI Board Chair Kathleen Draper in Week 1, and an IBI staff team during Week 2 including myself, Development Manager Mehdeen Abbasi, and Communications Lead Lauren Boritzke Smith. The IBI COP28 delegation will also be made up of representatives from collaborating organizations including CDR.FYI, the Carbon Business Council, XPRIZE, and Nasdaq.
Make sure to follow IBI’s activities on the ground in Dubai! We’ll be publishing Char Chat regularly — a limited LinkedIn newsletter during COP28 that you can subscribe to now. You’ll hear from me every other day during Week 2, alongside video interviews, updates from the Carbon Removal at COP pavilion, and more.
IBI is also a part of two thematic virtual pavilions — make sure to follow both:
- Coalition of Action for Soil Health’s COPSoil; a dedicated clearing house of all things soil at the UNFCCC COP.
- Carbon Removals at COP Virtual Pavilion; your platform for everything carbon removals at COP28.
I will also speak on the “Soil Building and Biochar” on 9th December in the Green Zone at the Expo City Farm – Workshop Space. There’s also a demonstration farm with biochar field trials to see there!
Will you be at COP28, do you have speaking opportunities, or want to meet there? Email us!
Please remember to stay in touch with IBI by: