Thanks to financial support provided to the International Biochar Initiative from the Biochar for Sustainable Soils Project, a new white paper The Potential for Biochar to Deliver Greater Sustainability for Maize Cultivation and Processing is now freely available to all interested parties.
Maize and biochar projects Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Thailand and the United States are highlighted in the report. Project coordinators identified various drivers and benefits for conducting biochar trials including:
- Ability to improve waste (residue) management
- Improved outdoor air quality
- Reduced dependence on chemical fertilizers
- Potential to utilize heat from carbonization to dry corn
- Increased economic development; employment for rural villagers to produce biochar
In addition to project highlights, peer reviewed research on the benefits of using biochar in maize cultivation and processing are summarized. Recommendations for future research related to biochar use in maize production are also provided.