Hochschule Geisenheim University is a university of the state of Hesse with around 1,800 students and 550 employees. Their range of degree programs and research projects in plant sciences, landscape, food and beverages is unique in Germany. As they strive to create strategies for a sustainable and livable future, they are a driver for social transformations needed to meet future demands in terms of climate, landscape and food.
Are you looking for a challenging and varied job in a great team characterized by a personal atmosphere? Would you like to work in an innovative environment with a 150-year tradition of sustainability? Then start shaping the future with as:
Research Assistant (m/f/d) as Postdoctoral
Department of Applied Ecology (Chair of Climate Impact Research)
Where? Geisenheim in the cultural region of the Rheingau (50 km west of Frankfurt/Main)
When? As soon as possible
How? Full-time (100 %, E13), 2 years fixed-term (§ 2 Abs.2 WissZeitVG)
In a joint project funded by the BMBF, synergies of the use of two strategies of “carbon dioxide removal” (CDR) will be explored together with researchers from the University of Hamburg, the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and the Ithaka Institute. The collaborative project “Pyrogenic Carbon and Mineral Weathering (“PyMiCCS”) for Accelerated Plant Growth and Carbon Removal and Storage” is embedded in the CDRterra research network (https://cdrterra.de/en). Subproject 3 (HGU) uses methods from crop science (soil science, plant nutrition), greenhouse gas flux measurements, and stable isotope (13C-CO2) utilization. The post holder will be supported by a technical assistant (50%).
- Planning, execution and evaluation of pot experiments with and without plants in
the greenhouse and in the field including soil and plant physiological
- Measurement of the fluxes of the stable greenhouse gases CO2, N2O and CH4 using the
closed-chamber method and GC or mid infrared gas sample analysis (methodical
training can be provided)
- Statistical evaluation and graphical processing of the collected data
- Publication of the obtained results in peer-reviewed journals
- Presentation of the results at project/consortium meetings, as well as at national and
- Administrative project management (e.g. preparation of funding allocation, interim and
- Proactive communication with project and research partners
- Supervision of student theses within the project (BSc, MSc)
Your qualifications – our requirements.
- Completed doctoral and master’s degree in biology, agricultural sciences,
biogeochemistry, soil science or comparable studies
- Very good knowledge of relevant graphical and statistical software, e.g. R
- Proof of own successful scientific publication activity
- Problem-oriented, independent, reliable and systematic way of working
- High degree of communication and teamwork skills, genuine interest in the subject area
of CDR and in science communication
- Good to very good knowledge of the English language, both written and spoken
Our benefits – your chance.
- Job security – employment in the public sector with remuneration (depending on
professional experience and qualifications) up to pay group 13 TV-H, and a company
pension scheme. Funding available for an extension for up to three years
- Significance – responsible task in a practical project to secure the future of viticulture in
Germany and abroad in an interdisciplinary motivated team.
- Prospects – personal, needs-oriented support through extensive training and further
- Flexibility – individual working time models (work-life balance), mobile work possible
after initial on-the-job training, 30 days annual leave
- Mobility – LandesTicket Hessen 2023 and 2024 for free use of local and regional public
transport within the state of Hesse
- Feel-good factor – a strong team spirit as part of the “Geisenheimer” family on our
green campus with listed parks and buildings, coupled with the region’s renowned
Then submit your application (cover letter, CV incl. publication list, research projects and interests, 3 references) as a single PDF document to email@example.com by November 19,2023, quoting the reference number 92/2023. Applications will be shortlisted after the submission deadline. Shortlisted applicants will receive an invitation for an interview.
If you have any initial questions (also regarding the processing of your application data, see
data protection information/application data), please do not hesitate to contact:
Job application management
Aline Wenzl/ Verena Klein
Tel.: +49 (0)6722 502-2291/2292
Von-Lade-Straße 1, 65366 Geisenheim
Department of Applied Ecology
Frau Prof. Claudia Kammann
Tel.: +49 6722 502-755
Your profile and strengths matter. That is why they encourage all qualified candidates to apply
regardless of gender, age, origin or disability. Candidates with disabilities (as defined in § 2 Para. 2 and 3 SGB IX) are given preferential consideration if they are equally qualified. Hochschule Geisenheim University is a certified family-friendly university committed to diversity, equal opportunities and reconciling career and family life. Therefore, applications from female candidates are particularly welcome.