Hello IBI Community –
Were you at the IBI Members Only virtual networking event on 14 Sept.? We hosted over 200 members in discussions that ranged from geographic work (Africa, Asia-Pacific, EU, North America) to LCAs for biochar, carbon markets, and non-agriculture biochar uses. We greatly appreciated patience with trying out a new technology, but were so gratified at the conversations and connections made in the two-hour event. We’ll organize more virtual networking meetings in 2023 – stay tuned
In the meantime, IBI will be found at several in-person and online events for the remainder of the year, so let’s dive into upcoming convenings, as well as some of IBI’s projects that are underway.
SAVE THE DATE for IBI’s Annual Symposium, Raising Climate Ambitions with Biochar, 6 – 8 December 2022 – the full agenda and registration opens soon.
5 Oct. join IBI and IBI Member CHAR Technologies on the RNG Coalition Wednesday Webinar: Renewable Natural Gas, Thermochemical Conversion and Biochar: Boosting Sustainability.
Then on 11 Oct., IBI is excited to join IBI Member KlimatelinK’s Biochar Digital Dive – learn more and register here.
Will you be at VERGE 2022? In San Jose, California, 25 – 27 Oct. 2022, IBI is a Start-Up Sponsor and will have a booth in the Start Up Hall. Come visit us, and make sure to attend IBI Member Puro Earth’s panel, Five New Nature-Based Solutions You Need to Know About.
And last, but certainly very much not least, IBI will be at COP27 in Sharm El-Sheik, Egypt 6 – 18 November, 2022. We will share our plans in the October newsletter, and please contact me if you or your organization will be there, too.
What is IBI working on besides events? Here’s a quick list of projects under way or planned for 2023:
- Global Biochar Map – a searchable map for biochar companies, projects and research, opening soon for anyone to add their work.
- Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) Framework for biochar – this will help countries and other climate actors estimate how much biochar could positively impact their GHG emissions reductions efforts.
- The Biochar Academy – this new education effort will offer a “train the trainers” approach to increase the number of qualified experts who can help biochar companies and projects grow.
- White Papers and Publications – IBI will release papers focused on both the “what, when, how, why, and where” of biochar, as well as deeper dives into biochar, including its use around PFAS, and a differentiation between pyrolysis and incineration.
- NEW Brand and Website – IBI will soon have a new visual identity and updated website – stay tuned for this!
As always, please stay in touch with IBI and me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any biochar news, company updates, new research, events, and of course, industry jobs, so that we can share with IBI’s large and growing audience.
And remember, to quote Kelpie Wilson in this recent piece, Biochar Fixes Carbon.
Wendy Lu McGill