Updated April 2016
- Testing Laboratory General Information
- List of Laboratories Able to Conduct Testing for IBI Biochar Certification
- Required and Recommended Laboratory Documentation
For the benefit of biochar manufacturers interested in certifying their biochar product(s), IBI lists laboratories on this webpage that have indicated that they can conduct biochar testing consistent with the IBI Biochar Standards and IBI Biochar Certification Program. Testing shall follow strict quality control requirements according to standardized laboratory procedures. Laboratory professionals are expected to be trained in the relevant field of analytical chemistry and operate in professional laboratories that have received general laboratory accreditation. Such accreditation should be provided by a relevant governing body or an international standards body like the ISO. The intent of such laboratory standards is to make certain that contributing laboratories will provide reliable and replicable results that will ensure that an appropriate standard of quality is met. Test results should be provided directly to biochar manufacturers.
By listing these laboratories, IBI confers no endorsement or quality assurances regarding these laboratories, nor does it make any claims regarding the validity of the laboratory or its test results. IBI does not require the use of any particular laboratory, nor does it endorse any particular laboratory. By making use of a laboratory for the required testing, participating biochar manufacturers agree to defend and hold IBI harmless from and against any and all claims, actions, demands, liabilities, losses, settlements, costs and fees (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees and court costs) arising from or allegedly arising from any results of laboratory testing. Biochar manufacturers/applicants are not required to use laboratories that IBI lists, and are free to select a laboratory of their choice as long as the laboratory(ies) selected are appropriately accredited and follow IBI-required test methodologies.
The following is a list of professional laboratories known to IBI that have indicated that they can test biochar for some or all of the parameters in the IBI Biochar Standards according to the requirements of the IBI Biochar Certification Program:
- Control Laboratory; www.biocharlab.com Watsonville, CA
- Summit Environmental Technologies, Inc.; www.summitlabs.org Albuquerque, NM
- Texas Element, Inc.; www.texaselement.com Austin, TX
- Midwest Laboratories, Inc.; www.midwestlabs.com Omaha, NE
- Situ Biosciences LLC; www.situbiosciences.com Wheeling, IL
The following are documents that biochar manufacturers should secure from testing labs they contract with to conduct their biochar testing under the IBI Biochar Certification Program:
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control form (required): Biochar manufacturers must request a Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/AC) form from each laboratory used. Laboratories are free to use proprietary or self-generated QA/QC forms.
- IBI Laboratory Test Form (optional): As part of their application, biochar manufacturers are required to upload copies of complete test results. It is highly recommended that biochar manufacturers request that testing laboratories use the IBI Laboratory Test Form. The IBI Laboratory Test Form contains expanded information for laboratories regarding required test methods and provides a succinct template for ensuring collection of all required tests and test results for application submission. Biochar manufacturers/applicants can also use this template to facilitate assembly of their biochar label.
For more information on laboratory requirements or on how to become listed as a biochar testing lab on our website, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.