The registration for IBI Biochar Academy two-day session on agricultural uses of biochar is now open! The Deadline to register is June 9th, 2023.
Interest in biochar continues to grow among the agriculture community but many questions remain. These field day will provide guidelines for using biochar in agriculture and share practical insights for farmers when it comes to applying biochar to crops.
Learn from farms already using to biochar about:
- Where should biochar be applied?
- How do I apply it?
- How much do I apply?
- When do I apply it?
- Is financial assistance available to use biochar?
This session will be held on June 22 – 23, 2023, and participants will hear from representatives from the USDA, American Farmland Trust, Cornell University, local farmers and other biochar experts!
Some of the topics that will be covered include:
- Biochar and guidelines for agricultural applications
- National biochar and climate initiatives
- CPS 336 and WSS dynamic soil properties response to biochar tool
- Biochar application for manure management and uses in horticultural mixes
- Biochar Atlas Decision Support Tool to learn about different biochars for different applications
Additionally, this session will provide a biochar production demo and a visit to Cornell University along with other projects in the region. A reception will be held on June 22 to provide an opportunity to all attendees to get to know each other and build their network.
Where is it being held?
Venue for June 22:
Ontario County Fairgrounds, Canandaigua, NY (2820 Co Rd 10, Canandaigua, NY 14424)
Field Visits for June 23:
- Spruce Haven Farm – 5004 White Road, Union Springs, NY 13160
- Cornell University – Ithaca, NY 14850
- Seneca Farms Biochar – 4760 Cotton Hanlon Road, Odessa, NY 14869
How much does it cost?
- Cost for Non New York State Attendees:
- This will cover the cost of lunch for 2 days, reception on June 22 and transportation for field trips.
- This does NOT include accommodation and all additional costs will be the responsibility of the attendees.
- Cost for New York State Residents:
- $125 and $50 for students/low-income individuals.
- This will cover the cost of lunch for 2 days and reception on June 22.
- Transportation and accommodation is NOT included and NY state residents are required to make arrangements for transportation for the field trip on June 23.
- All additional costs will be the responsibility of the attendees.
***Please note that attendees of the full 2-week Biochar Academy do not have to pay this additional cost as this is included in their tuition.
How do I register?
Limited spots are available and so we encourage you to apply ASAP. The deadline to register is May 31,2023.
- Non-New York State Resident Registration Link: International Biochar Initiative 2023 Biochar Field Days Tickets, Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 8:00 AM | Eventbrite
- New York State Resident Registration Link: Biochar Field Days Tickets, Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 8:00 AM | Eventbrite
Accommodation and Transportation
Accommodation is NOT provided by IBI and is the responsibility of the attendees to make all necessary arrangements. A limited number of rooms have been reserved at the Holiday Inn in Canandaigua until May 15 so we encourage you to register ASAP.
Other options are available at nearby hotels, Bed & Breakfasts and AirBnBs.
The closest airports for Non NY State Residents are:
Rochester, NY (ROC) – ~50 minutes
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – ~ 60 minutes
Buffalo, NY (BUF) – ~90 minutes
There are also buses and trains from New York City-area airports – Grayhound, Trailways, and Amtrak for options. It is the responsibility of the attendees to arrange their own transportation from airport to the venue.
Transportation for the field trip on June 23 will be provided to Non NY State Residents.
NY State Residents are required to arrange their own transportation for June 23.
For additional questions, please reach out to email@example.com.